Films I Love Seeing Over and Over Again.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Here is a list of films that I have seen a minimum of 5 times, that I seem never to get bored or tired of. These are the few films that manage to keep me entertained even after many repeated viewings and even get better every time I see it. These films are thought provoking, emotional, and simply awe-inspiring. Every time I watch them I gather some new meaning, theme, reference or connotation. These are the films I aspire to make when I become a film director:

(List is in no particular order)

Requiem for a Dream
Number of viewings: 8
I never get tired of this film, it’s one of Darren Aronofsky’s masterpieces filled with style and a powerful message. It also has a memorable soundtrack.

American Beauty
Number of viewings: 6
This film is simply amazing! An extremely powerful movie filled with so many layers of meaning and symbolism. Kevin Spacey at his finest!

Matrix
Number of viewings: 10+ (I honestly lost count)
The best science-fiction film I’ve ever seen. This is another film with an extremely complex and intricate set of layers of symbolism, connotations, and references. This film is not simply understood in one viewing. I only started to understand the plot in around the 3rd viewing! Every time I see this film I figure out something new.

The Mummy (1999 version)
Number of viewings: 10+ (Honestly lost count with this one too)
Alright, this not quite a “thought provoking” film, but this film is simply an awesomely fun ride! It brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

Pulp Fiction
Number of viewings: 7 times
Violence, style, and Samuel L. Jackson yelling scripture, what more can you ask for? One of the best films ever made in my opinion.

The Fountain
Number of viewings: 5
Beauty captured on film. From the sound, to the story, to the cinematography to the actor’s performances this film is simply beautiful. Darren Aronofsky’s other masterpiece. A simply enigmatic film trespassing the standards of Hollywood storytelling. Deep, metaphorical, and heart-felt, every single scene is a beautiful work of art. This film is magical and epic with a very complex structure and many ways of interpreting it’s story. Many viewings are definitely needed for this one.

The Aviator
Number of viewings: 6
Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese at their finest. What an amazing film! One of the best biopics I have seen. DiCaprio’s performance is amazing and one of the best I’ve ever seen. Can’t believe this movie didn’t win any Oscars!

0 comments: