Explosions, fantasy, and more explosions...

Saturday, April 11, 2009

May is fast approaching and what does that mean in the film world? The summer blockbuster season! Where gigantic big budget action films filled with big stars, big name directors, and most of all Hollywood’s obsession of sequels! Last year we had an amazing line-up with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dark Knight all of which were in my opinion awesome movies. Now for this blockbuster season surprisingly we don’t have as many comic-book films as last season, which is a shocker to me! But we have the return of a classic TV/movie series to the big screen, Star Trek, a sequel to the massively popular Transformers, a prequel to the cinema classic Terminator Salvation, yet another Harry Potter film, and a quirky Pixar film. This season is going to be tons of fun; I should start saving some money if I wish to see all these in theaters…

Here’s the list of the summer blockbusters I’m anticipating, this in release order:

(Click Title of movie for Trailer)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: After the abysmal X-men 3, I’m really hoping this will be better. The fact that they added Gambit is already good news.

Star Trek: A reboot, ala Batman Begins and The Incredible Hulk, after the horrible big budget flop, Star Trek Nemesis, Star Trek needs a proper re-imagining. Being a huge fan of the original Star Trek movies I’m super hyped for this film!

Angels and Demons: After I was blown away by The Da Vinci Code, Tom Cast returns as Robert Langdon, Ron Howard returns as director, and David Koepp returns as writer. Yes, this movie is going to be good.

Terminator Salvation: The fact that the director of Charlie’s Angels is directing this has me nervous, but Jonathan Nolan (The Dark Knight) has written a worthy script according to star of the film Christian Bale.

Up!: Pixar’s next big film, every Pixar film is worth watching (except Cars)!

Land of the Lost: Brings back memories of the adventure shows I used to watch when I was a little kid. Saw Journey to the Center of the Earth last summer and I had tons of fun, hopefully this movie will create the same effect.

Year One: Jack Black, Michael Cera, and 2/3 of the Superbad cast return in this parody of historical proportions. Can’t wait to laugh my ass off this June 19th, which is my birthday yay!

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: Loved Transformers, which was amazing popcorn flick.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: What kind of summer would it be if there wasn’t a Harry Potter flick?! It’s going to be a sad day after I watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I realize there aren’t going to be anymore movies!!! =(

G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra: Directed by one of my most favorite blockbuster Hollywood directors Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, Mummy Returns, Van Helsing) really can’t wait for this! Only question is will it be better than Transformers?

0 comments: