Must-See Foreign Cinema

Sunday, February 22, 2009

12
A loose remake of 12 Angry Men, this Russian film was nominated for an Academy Award in 2008. This movie is apparently so intense that it made Russian president, Vladimir Putin, cry at a private screening!



Entre les murs (The Class)
Even though this movie lost in the Oscars last night this is nonetheless the winner of the Palme d’Or at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival (arguably the highest honor in the film industry) and is the highest rated film of 2008. I have come to the conclusion that the Academy Awards hates the Cannes Film Festival because every film that wins the Palme d'Or either loses or doesn't even end up getting nominated! Anyways, this film strikes me as the French version of Stand and Deliver. An intense and personal look on the social complexity of this racially diversified Parisian high school. Living in New York my entire life, this film really resonates with the social world I have lived in, the intricate complexities and how in this melting pot of culture we develop a world-view. Have to see this one soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I understood and spoke every language in the world lol. I hate having to read subtitles. it sorta takes away from the experience. but english dubs are usually worse lol.

I took french for like 7 years and I still didn't understand that second trailer :/

Marielle said...

je voudrais regarder entre les murs!
i hope thats right or else my A in french would mean nothing -_-'